[EpiData-list] New test versions of EpiData Manager and EpiData EntryClient

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 28 04:39:10 CDT 2013

Hi All.

The major problem with the SPSS export is choosing a delimiter that :

a) Does not have a multi-byte UTF-8 encoding (it must be a regular ASCII
character, eg. ¤ or does NOT work)
b) It must be a character the normally is not used in text entry (or as
separator for date, time, etc.)

In regards to b) the main issue is that the delimiter cannot be part of
the data, not even if it is enclosed in
quotations. Since a text field in EpiData may contain ANY kind of data
(that includes all visible UTF-8 characters),
I chose the vertical bar "|" to be the on LEAST likely to be used as
part of a text field.

I know this is not a perfect solution, but in all fairness I consider
the SPSS import to very buggy considering that
not even text in quotations can contain the delimiter.

Regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.
EpiData Association.