[EpiData-list] New test versions of EpiData Manager and EpiData EntryClient

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 28 07:47:55 CDT 2013

On 2013-10-28 13:24, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
> Den 2013-10-28 10:39 skreiv epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca:
>> In regards to b) the main issue is that the delimiter cannot be part
>> of the data, not even if it is enclosed in
>> quotations. Since a text field in EpiData may contain ANY kind of
>> data (that includes all visible UTF-8 characters),
>> I chose the vertical bar "|" to be the on LEAST likely to be used as
>> part of a text field.
>
> How about using character 0x1E (30) or 0x1F (31) instead.
> They were *designed* for precisely this problem:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delimiter#ASCII_delimited_text

That is true, but then you would have the problem with non-displaying
characters in
a file/text editor - leading to strange symbyls like a square (in
Windows) or a
questionmark (in eg. Linux).
IMHO that is a less desired alternative that using a visible, but
infrequently
used symbol.

Regards,
Torsten Christiansen