[EpiData-list] Can you help me

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 1 01:32:39 CDT 2014

On 2014-06-30 20:53, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
> Dear Kusulla:
>
> In EpiData Entry 3.1 (which you presumably use), you should not ever
> loose any data (nor get such a message), if:
>
> - you do not change the field type of an existing field
> - do not shorten the field length of an existing field
> - add a new field
> - change the sequence of fields
>
> You will loose data (and get alerted to it), if:
>
> - you remove an existing field
> - shorten the field length of an existing field
> - change the field type of an existing field
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

In addition to Hans reply i would ask you to consider using the new
programs EpiData Manager and EpiData EntryClient, since many of these
limitation with reconstructing the database are not present any more.

A short list of pro's and con's to consider:

Pro's:
* You do not loose data when:
  - reordering, resequence, rename
  - change length
  - add new fields
* Dataloss will only occur if you explicit delete a field (and you will
be warned twice when doing so)
* A direct visual representation of your layout (The WYSIWYG
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG> model)
* All of data, structure and meta-data is present in a single file (no
longer 3 files to maintain: qes, rec, chk)
* EpiData Entry 3.1 is no longer maintained.

Con's:
* Does not support all features of the old EpiData 3.1 (yet! - the
lastest experimental release now also supports related datasets)
* Importing .rec/.chk files is limited to only import simple .chk
structures.
* The interaction between Manager/EntryClient and Analysis is not
perfect, working but not perfect.

My general recommendation is to use Manager/EntryClient unless there are
some specific features of Entry 3.1 you must use
that are currently not present in the new programs.

Kind regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.
EpiData Association.