[EpiData-list] EpiData Manager v1.4.4.6 -String fields

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sat Jul 19 13:57:55 CDT 2014

On 2014-07-16 17:16, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> is it possible to change not only the width but also the height of the
> string field (manager)? Depending upon the number of characters the field is
> widely increased to the right but not downward (no line break). However for
> the data entry it would be better/easier if the field was to be increased
> downward.
>
> I need a field with 1000 characters! Is that too much?

Dear Marita.

At the moment - no. String fields behave exactly the same ways as all
other types
of fields, it expands only horizontally.

However, we do hope to find the time to introduce a more generic "memo"
field, which
should be able to expand in both directions. This is not a top priority
at the moment, but
we have it on our to-do list.

Also, please remember that using very long string fields does not work
well when exporting
to eg. Stata or if you wish to import into EpiData Analysis. Both
programs have a maximum
length of how long strings may be, and as far as i remember, 1000+
characters if above
this limit.

Kind regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.