[EpiData-list] Status of EpiData Development and a few questions

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jun 21 13:38:37 CDT 2016

Dear EpiData developers:

Excellent news then - thank you for putting continued effort into the
development.  Just a comment on the "shrinkage" in Export options:

I support this as a most rational and efficient approach.  SAS remains
seemingly the US government's choice, and it makes sense there, but it
is not the most commonly used software among individual and academic
institutional users, not least because of cost implications.  Stata has
been steadily gaining ground over SPSS and appears to be one of the top
choices for professional epidemiologists while R is the dominant package
for professional statisticians.  R neatly reads (through its foreign
package) Stata files and most decent analysis software will do so
alike.  When push comes to shove, (probably) all software will read a
text file [requiring though adding one's own labels from a code book].
The proposed approach will guarantee 1) ease of maintenance during
development, 2) ability to use a data set with proper meta-data in any
software that reads Stata files, and 3) reading the data into any other
software.  This should free up development time rather than trying to
keep up with constantly changing formats.

Good move!

Hans

--
Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH