[EpiData-list] Upcoming updated software versions next week

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Aug 12 12:58:46 CDT 2016

About a month ago users experienced unexpected problems with the most
recently uploaded public version. The problems were basically very grave
and would not allow various aspects of core functionality, e.g. working
with value labels.

Due to the documented problems we have now implemented a new test
principle for EpiData Manager and EntryClient, which will be followed
before public release. The tests are structured in a spreadsheet format
and performed by local staff here in Denmark (public health students).

Based on the tests performed we have found un-disclosed errors, which is
a "proof of concept" of the idea to pre-test thoroughly before public
release. In contrast to relying on unstructured testing.

Early next week we will therefore release new versions for production
use and also the spreadsheet, which documents what we do test before
release.

For coming releases I therefore suggest that users assist in the
testing. You may then receive pre-release copies of the software, such
that the overall testing can be thorough. Recent experience has shown
that some combinations of operating system versions and types (32/64bit)
etc have given problems that we have no possibility of neither catching
or solving without the help of some of you.

In short therefore: be prepared to download new production versions of
EntryClient and Manager next week.

Regards