[EpiData-list] Status and strategic decisions for development of EpiData Software

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Oct 28 10:20:32 CDT 2016

For all users of EpiData Software

I am writing today to explain some changes you may notice in future list
postings from me.

Due to regulatory demands in Denmark there is a need to formalize some
of the development strategies, including how the EpiData list is used to
support development. Some of the emails from me will have a form where
statements made are understood as accepted unless further debate gives
reason for changes.  Any comment or indication of opinion is welcomed at
any time.
If no major comments are given within 5 days the paragraphs will be
formally understood as accepted by the user base.

I want to reassure you that there will be NO information given to anyone
regarding who is on the discussion list, anything you say here or
otherwise express in relation to development or preference in strategy.

In the formal constitution of the Association this is formulated as
stated below my signature.

There will be a continued division of decision making in EpiData
development in which the roles are:

a. this EpiData-List:
    discuss principles, decisions, practical implementation, bug
removal, questions on specific aspects etc.

b. the core group:
Definite strategic decisions including those with financial implications
are placed here. The core group is comprised of those giving major input
to development. Names are indicated in the section "Particularly Active"
in the "Friends of EpiData" section on the credit page of the main webpage.

c. specific implementation:
These are ultimately made by me and Torsten Christiansen, who is
assuring sound software principles.

At the final level I am legally responsible for all decisions taken, but
it is important that the whole user base is informed of the principles.

Best regards to all

Jens Lauritsen, MD, Phd.
Initiator and Coordinator
EpiData Association, Denmark

Formal extract:

Decisions on dissemination and development strategies is taken in an
open discussion on the EpiData list, which is open for all users.
Specific power users from the user base will be added to a group of core
decision makers (the board), who can sign account balance’s and grant
signing rights to one or more persons in the core group in relation to
payments and salaries. The board is guided in the larger decisions by
the ”Friends of EpiData” – an international collection of experienced
persons within EpiDemiology, Public Health and Community Medicine
supporting the aim of the EpiData Association. Updated lists of names
are shown at www.epidata.dk/credit.htm.

To ensure broad support in development decisions and strategies all
major directional plans will be made publicly available on the EpiData
discussion group list, which is open to all users. Such plans will be
clearly formulated as such with proper timelimits for commenting and
possible changes.