[EpiData-list] " problem with XML version 4" - and strategies with versions

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sat Nov 12 16:08:06 CST 2016

Although I can see your problematic situation reported below - There is
"actually" no problem as such with version 4 of the XML.

It is not possible in any simple manner to do manual change of a version
4 file back to a version 3 file, since the reason for having version 4
is to experiment with new functionality. A given version 4 of the XML
code could therefore also change before released for public use.

But there is a problem if you take one of your earlier projects created
with version 3 of the XML into a test or experimental version. Then you
CANNOT open it again in the public release version, since that version
is using version 3 of the XML. Then you will get the warning/error that
you showed.

We have posted many warnings on the website (testing page) on this and
in recent Manager and EntryClient a yellow background warning also tells
"Do not use on routine data, work on copies ...."

If any of the users have suggestions on how we can give more warnings it
is welcomed.

The strategy of versions is clearly that the public release versions
found on http://www.epidata.dk/download.php will always read any epx
file from the first ones we created a few years back - BUT only if they
were created with public release versions.

When we release the next Manager and EntryClient which allows for user
access control. E.g. that someone can only enter data and others only
give new passwords. Then there could be a break of the rule above, since
we expect to change the current principle that variable names are
different with case, e.g. v1 is not the same as V1. So we urge users to
start implementing a practice where case of variables does not matter.
If you have projects with say as well v1 and v2 variables. Then please
rename these - you will not loose your data by renaming variables in
Manager.

Best wishes

Jens Lauritsen
Initiator and Coordinator