[EpiData-list] Analysis

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jan 4 11:04:48 CST 2017

Thanks Torsten. Here are some comments. I hope others will respond as well.
Jamie

> On Jan 4, 2017, at 07:17, EpiData development and support <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>
> A.
> Which sign should be used (= vs :=, <> vs !=, == vs =, etc)
My preference for logical comparisons: ==, <> or !=
> An aspect of this is which signs are easy to make on keyboards in all countries, e.g. ! is easy on the danish keyboard
>
> B:
> How should we define select - as in current Analysis v2, where an additional select is incremental adding to a previous select. Or as in current prototype, where a given select only works for one command at a time or on a begin ... end; block
I prefer the begin … end blocks.

I would like to see:

select <boolean> begin
  <statements>;
  end;
else begin
  <statements>;
end;

This would implement if-then-else functionality at the record level, leaving if-then-else for use with globals; by the way, currently if-then will compare the first record if a variable name is used.

> C:
> How should we define options. E.g as in Analysis v2 with a symbol (which cannot be "/"), but it could also as (notice the "," and no symbol for each option):
> /command/ /variable [variable ... ]/ , /option/ [ := </expression/> ] /options/ […]

I like the following:
select group==1 means age, by=sex t vl

> And for testing we would like your feedback:
> * Syntax: Is the current syntax reasonably easy to understand and use.
It seems that programs require ; at the end of a line. This will need to be emphasized (where to use ; and where not). The examples show this pretty well.