[EpiData-list] Error in exporting .epx file to .dta

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 23 15:56:45 CDT 2017

From https://www.stata.com/help.cgi?dta:

+32740 is the largest non-missing integer (2-byte) value in Stata. The internal value for the first missing value (.) is +32741.
Missing values seem to handled that same way in all versions of the Stata dataset. I would encourage people to use the most recent Stata version unless they are tied to a legacy version of Stata or requirement for an old version for import elsewhere.

I would think that for Stata use, the actual coded value of missing (e.g. 9 or 99 or 999) is not as relevant as it is in EpiData, which provides users the link to their paper forms and study codebooks. However, where there are multiple missing values, it would be advantageous to maintain the distinction.

I propose:

EpiData —> Stata
system missing —> .
first declared missing value —> .a
next declared missing value —> .b
etc.
Since every Stata numeric data type allows for 27 missing values, there should be no issue with this. The actual internal values for ., .a, etc. will depend on the Stata numeric type.

When reading Stata data, I propose that EpiData treats all missing values as system missing (in Manager and Analysis). There is no clear logic to setting other values as declared missing, especially if the .dta has no value labels. I could imagine this being an option, in which .a, .b, … .z get assigned to their internal Stata values and the EpiData user will have to define the missing values accordingly.

I will submit a bug report on the problem with setting missing values on export.

Jamie