[EpiData-list] Remote storage/access to data collected in EpiData

EpiData development and support epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jun 2 13:55:50 CDT 2020

Dear Edna:

In our large multicenter study on treatment of multidrug-resistant
tuberculosis in nine African countries:

1.    Trébucq A, Schwoebel V, Kashongwe Z, Bakayoko A, Kuaban C, Noeske
J, Hassane S, Souleymane B, Piubello A, Ciza F, Fikouma V, Gasana M,
Ouedraogo M, Gninafon M, Van Deun A, Cirillo D M, Koura K G, Rieder H
L.  Treatment outcome with a short multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
regimen in nine African countries.  Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2018;22:17-25.

2.    Schwœbel V, Trébucq A, Kashongwe Z, Bakayoko A S, Kuaban C, Noeske
J, Harouna S H, Souleymane M B, Piubello A, Ciza F, Fikouma V, Gasana M,
Ouedraogo M, Gninafon M, Van Deun A, Tagliani E, Cirillo D M, Koura K G,
Rieder H L.  Outcomes of a nine-month regimen for rifampicin-resistant
tuberculosis up to 24 months after treatment completion in nine African
countries.  EClinicalMedicine 2020;20:100268.

we used Dropbox.  What is key is that you assign hierarchies and have
central control: EpiData software is single-user software. Thus, first
only one person at any given time can work on the dataset.  Ours was a
special case across countries, thus each jurisdiction had an identical
data entry form in a unique personalized country-specific Dropbox
sub-folder on the local machine.  Only one person per country had the
right to decide who at a given time was permitted to enter / modify
data.  No country had access to any other country folder.  Thus, in the
end, there were nine country-specific data sets, each in a specific
folder.  The central study coordinating person appended all country sets
to a single consolidated dataset.

The principle of collaborating over distance with free software
(EpiData, Dropbox, and TeamViewer) has been summarized by Ajay MV Kumar:

Kumar A M V, Naik B, Guddemane D K, Bhat P, Wilson N, Sreenivas A N,
Lauritsen J M, Rieder H L.  Efficient, quality-assured data capture in
operational research through innovative use of open-access technology.
Public Health Action 2013;3:60-2.

If you cannot access these three articles (they are all free in the
public domain) but would like to obtain then, please write an email to
me (TBRieder at tbrieder.org) and I will mail them to you personally.

Hans

--
Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH