I found this on the city's bid opportunities page today and thought it was interesting enough to pass along in case anyone feels motivated enough to start working on some proposals for the stakeholder and public engagement process. It seems like a positive development.
Bid Opportunity Page http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderContents.asp?FOLDER_NAME=631-2012&YEAR=2012 Request for Proposal Document http://winnipeg.ca/finance/findata/matmgt/documents//2012/631-2012//631-2012_Request_for_Proposal.pdf. Sections A,B, and C are generic boiler plate RFP requests, sections D and E have the substance.
Here are some of the highlights (at least from my perspective):
E3.2 The City of Winnipeg's commitment to a low carbon future is reflected in key achievements, policy tools & directives:
(a) Membership and Council commitment to the Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program in 1998. (b) 2007 municipal achievement of a 20% reduction in corporate GHG emissions over a 1998 baseline and subsequent Council endorsement of a further 20% GHG reduction (overall goal of 40% below 1998 levels). (c) Council endorsement of a 6% community-wide GHG reduction goal over 1998 levels.
E4.10 Types of GHG to be measured:
(b) Types of emission sources to be measured:
(iv) Within transportation, the inventory should be broken down by different transportation modes and vehicle types for passengers and freight wherever possible. Emission per kilometre per transportation mode, and emission per kilometre per vehicle type, should be calculated.
E7. MODELING AND ANALYSIS OF POLICY & ACTION IMPACTS
E7.3 Policy and actions to be analyzed by the Consultant shall be developed in consultation with City staff and key stakeholders and with the contribution of the Consultant's experience in other jurisdictions. It is anticipated that the following areas shall be considered at minimum:
(a) Land use change; (b) Solid waste and landfill management; (c) Transportation demand management; (d) Active transportation improvements; (e) Building code changes; (f) Local energy efficiency retrofits; (g) The use of on-site renewables; (h) District energy; (i) Transit quality improvements; (j) Transit route and rapid transit expansion; (k) Tailpipe emission standards and fuel switching.
E7.5 The Consultant's analysis of relevant policy & action shall include key evaluative criteria for consideration including, but not limited to:
(a) Emissions reduction potential; (b) Co-benefits; (c) Implementation cost; (d) Feasibility; (e) Applicability; (f) Implementation timeframe.
E7.7 Further to the Consultant's analysis, the Consultant shall prepare supporting graphical, tabular, geospatial and comparative materials as is contextually appropriate and are suitable for communicating the comparative impact of each relevant action.
(a) At minimum, the Consultant shall demonstrate the emissions impact and relevant associations between current land use patterns and transportation amenities in Winnipeg and the impact of future land use changes and transportation system improvements in accordance with Winnipeg's development plan, OurWinnipeg, and the Transportation Master Plan. The dissemination level shall be by census area or traffic zone.
(i) Additionally, the Consultant shall recommend key performance indicators for monitoring and tracking progress towards each action area.