2021 Nick Shepel Neuroscience Trainee Travel Award
Application deadline: Friday, August 20, 2021
Background: The fund was established by the Division of Neurodegenerative
Disorders, St. Boniface Hospital Research Centre, to honor Nick Shepel who
was an outstanding researcher, friend and leader. Nick was a true
inspiration to his laboratory partners and brought fire, humor, and a desire
to always excel. His insistence to always try better has had a permanent
effect on his lab mates and peers. Nick led by example and taught that
detailed preparation and execution of experiments ensured reliable results.
Purpose: The purpose of this fund shall be to recognize a young
investigator(s) (specifically in the neuroscience area) by providing an
annual award(s) to support travel costs associated with the applicant's
attendance at an upcoming national/international conference where the
applicant is presenting a poster or oral presentation. This year, there are
up to four awards available with a value ranging $800 to $1,000.
Eligibility: At the time of application the following conditions are
* Students must be registered as a full-time graduate student in the
College of Medicine at the University of Manitoba.
* The area of research being presented at the conference must relate
to the field of neuroscience.
* A student admitted under the "Provisional Status" may not receive
the award during the provisional period.
* Amount of award(s) may vary each year.
* Students must be giving an "IN-PERSON" poster or oral presentation
at an upcoming scientific meeting (national/international). Virtual
attendance does not qualify for award.
* Students who have received this award previously should not apply.
Submission Instructions: A complete application consists of the following
*If your application is not complete, it will not be considered:
* Introductory letter describing meeting, location and date
* Copy of abstract
* Curriculum vitae
* Current GPA, transcripts not needed
* Proposed budget of travel costs
* Submit your completed application materials to:
Director - Division of Neurodegenerative Disorders
St. Boniface Hospital Research
R4046 - 351 Tache Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R2H 2A6
How to apply for reimbursement: Reimbursement will be done in accordance
with St. Boniface Hospital travel policies. Request for reimbursement must
be done within 2 weeks following travel otherwise eligibility may be voided.
(contact: Kelly Jorundson <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> kjorund(a)sbrc.ca )