[University of Manitoba Faculty of Graduate Studies]
Date: December 21, 2018
To: Heads of Units with Graduate Programs, Graduate Chairs, Awards Contacts
Xc: Deans of Units with Graduate Programs
From: Todd A. Mondor, Vice-Provost (Graduate Education) & Dean of Graduate Studies
Regarding: 2019-2020 January University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship Allocation
Please find attached the preliminary allocation for the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships for the 2019-2020 academic year. Allocations are based on the average enrollment over the previous three years (16/17, 17/18 and 18/19)
Please note that:
1. A negative allocation indicates that the unit has more UMGF awards currently active for its students than recent enrollment would support.
2. Unit allocations have been rounded to the nearest whole number (any allocation less than 0.5 was rounded down).
3. In some cases, coordination at the Budget Faculty level of the allocations to small units may be desirable. Individual units participating in such coordination must agree to it and any resulting arrangement must be approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
4. Units must allocate Master’s and Doctoral awards in accordance with their allocation.
5. Please note that additional allocations may be made in the winter term as unit enrollments are updated by the Office of Institutional Analysis, as well as later in the spring after the Tri-Council agencies announce their results (at that time students who receive a tri-council grant must accept it and decline any UMGF previously awarded).
How to use your quota:
Recommendations may be made immediately. There are two options for submitting the recommendation to FGS.
1. Submit the recommendation at the same time as recommendations are submitted to FGS via AppReview. This option is only available for students who have not yet been admitted.
2. The online recommendation form available on our website https://universityofmanitoba.formstack.com/forms/2019_2020_umgf_recommendat… (paper recommendations are not accepted).
Please submit your recommendations using only one of these options.
In response to several requests from units last year, the duration of the UMGF may now be specified on the recommendation form. Note that the duration of the UMGF must be in yearly increments and must meet the UMGF regulations pertaining to the time in their program (i.e., Students must be in the first two years of their Master’s program or the first four years of their Ph.D. program).
Units/Faculties must also specify the start date of the UMGF award (i.e., May 2019, September 2019 or January 2020). Recommendations submitted via AppReview will have a start date that coincides with the admission term.
In order to be considered for the UMGF Supplemental awards, recommendations must be submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies by June 30th.
Recommendations will only be considered for the 2019-2020 competition until September 30, 2019.
The Guidelines, Award Holder’s Guide and the Recommendation Form will be available at http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/funding/forms.html
The following proposed changes have been submitted and if approved will take in effect after the Senate meeting on February 6th.
* The minimum eligible GPA criteria will be an admit GPA of 3.0. (note that each unit/Department/Faculty may require a higher GPA as they see fit for their selection process. However, any student with a minimum admit GPA of 3.0 and is recommended to the Faculty of Graduate Studies will be eligible to receive the award).
* The total maximum UMGF/MGS support for any individual graduate student will be five years (60 months). This will apply to students recommended in the 2019-2020 competition and later.
* Students may not work full time during tenure of the UMGF. However, they will no longer be limited to 720 hours of employment over a 12 months period.
* Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 to continue receiving their award.
* Any recommendations made prior to the Senate meeting must meet the current guidelines.
Please feel free to contact Rowena Krentz, Awards Officer at
Rowena.Krentz(a)umanitoba.ca<mailto:Rowena.Krentz@umanitoba.ca> or 474-9836 if you have any questions or concerns.
Faculty of Graduate Studies · 500 University Centre · Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/umgradstudies/> · Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/umgradstudies/> · FGS Website<http://umanitoba.ca/graduate_studies/>