[University of Manitoba Faculty of Graduate Studies]
To: Department Heads, Graduate Chairs, Graduate Award Contacts, Graduate Support Staff
Cc: Deans of Faculties/Schools/Colleges with Graduate Programs
Please find attached the preliminary allocation for the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) for the 2022-2023 academic year. Allocations are based on the average enrolment over the previous two years (20-21 and 21-22).
Additionally, please find attached a copy of the 2022-2023 Guidelines to Units, as well as the 2022-2023 UMGF Award Holders Guide for your reference.
Please note that:
* Units must specify the duration of the UMGF when recommending students for the award. Note that the duration of the UMGF must be in yearly increments, must be specified on the recommendation form, and must be consistent with the UMGF regulations pertaining to the time in their program (i.e., students must be in the first two years of their Master’s program or the first four years of their Ph.D. program).
* Units must specify the start date of the UMGF award (i.e., May 2022, September 2022 or January 2023). Recommendations submitted via Slate will have a start date that coincides with the admission term.
* In order to be considered for any supplemental awards, UMGF recommendations must be submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies by June 30th.
* An allocation of zero (0) refers to new UMGF awards. A Unit’s budgeted funds may already be committed to renewals for that year, and/or the Unit may not have recent enrolment to support a new award allocation.
* Unit allocations have been rounded to the nearest whole number (any allocation less than 0.5 was rounded down).
* In some cases, coordination at the “Budget Faculty” level of the allocations to small Units may be desirable. Individual Units participating in such coordination must be in agreement, and any resulting arrangement must be approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
To use your allocation:
You may begin submitting recommendations for the UMGF at any time beginning now. There are two options for submitting the recommendation to FGS:
1. Submit the recommendation at the same time as recommendations are submitted to FGS via Slate. This option is only available for students who have not yet been admitted.
1. Complete the online recommendation form available on our website at: UMGF recommendation form 2022-23 (faculty use only)<https://universityofmanitoba.formstack.com/forms/umgf_recommendation_form>
Paper recommendations are not accepted. Please submit your recommendations using only one of these options.
While UMGF recommendations may be submitted at any time, kindly note that all recommendations for the 2022 - 2023 UMGF competition must be submitted no later than September 30, 2022.
The Unit Guidelines, Award Holder’s Guide and the Recommendation Form are available online at: https://umanitoba.ca/graduate-studies/forms#funding-awards-and-financial-aid
Questions regarding the UMGF allocations can be directed to Mandy Laing, Awards Officer, at Mandy.Laing(a)umanitoba.ca<mailto:Sara.Sealey@umanitoba.ca>
Questions regarding UMGF recommendations and processing can be directed to Madisson Roe, Awards Assistant, at Madisson.Roe(a)umanitoba.ca<mailto:Kayla.Wharton@umanitoba.ca>
Faculty of Graduate Studies · 500 University Centre · Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/umanitoba/> · Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/umgradstudies/> · FGS Website<http://umanitoba.ca/graduate-studies/>