[University of Manitoba Faculty of Graduate Studies]<https://umanitoba.ca/graduate-studies/>
Message from Dr. Kelley Main, Acting Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies
Date: January 30, 2023
To: Department Heads, Graduate Chairs, Graduate Award Contacts
Cc: Deans of Faculties/Schools/Colleges with Graduate Programs.
From: Dr. Kelley Main, Acting Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies
Regarding: 2023 - 2024 University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF) Allocations
Please find attached the preliminary allocations for the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) for the 2023-2024 academic year. Allocations are based on the average enrolment over the previous two years (21-22 and 22-23).
Additionally, please find attached a copy of the 2023-2024 Unit Guidelines, as well as the 2023-2024 UM Faculty of Graduate Studies Institutional Award Holder’s Guide for your reference.
* Units must specify the duration of the UMGF when recommending students for the award. The duration of the UMGF must be in yearly increments, must be specified on the recommendation form, and must be consistent with the UMGF regulations pertaining to the time in their program (i.e., students must be in the first two years of their Master’s program or the first four years of their Ph.D. program).
* Units must specify the start date of the UMGF award (i.e., May 2023, September 2023, or January 2024). Recommendations submitted via Slate will have a start date that coincides with the admission term.
* In order for students to be considered for any supplemental awards, UMGF recommendations must be submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) by July 31st.
* An allocation of zero (0) refers to new UMGF awards. A Unit’s budgeted funds may already be committed to renewals for that year, and/or the Unit may not have recent enrolment to support a new award allocation.
* Unit allocations have been rounded to the nearest whole number (any allocation less than 0.5 was rounded down).
* In some cases, coordination at the “Budget Faculty” level of the allocations to small Units may be desirable. Individual Units participating in such coordination must be in agreement, and any resulting arrangement must be approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies well in advance of any recommendations.
To use your allocation:
If you have been authorized on behalf of your Unit to do so, you may begin submitting recommendations for the UMGF at any time now. There are two options for submitting the recommendation to FGS:
1. Submit the UMGF recommendation with the admission recommendation via Slate. This option is only available for students who have not yet been admitted.
1. Complete the online recommendation form available on our website at:
2023-2024 UMGF Recommendation Form (Unit use only)<https://universityofmanitoba.formstack.com/forms/umgf_recommendation_form>
Please submit your recommendations using only one of the options outlined above. (Paper or e-mail recommendations are not accepted.)
UMGF recommendations may now be submitted at any time and all recommendations for 2023 - 2024 must be submitted no later than September 30, 2023.
The Unit Guidelines, Award Holder’s Guide and the Recommendation Form are available online at: https://umanitoba.ca/graduate-studies/forms#funding-awards-and-financial-aid
Questions regarding UMGF recommendations and processing can be directed to Amber Kusnick, Awards Assistant, at Amber.Kusnick(a)umanitoba.ca<mailto:Amber.Kusnick@umanitoba.ca>
Questions regarding the UMGF allocation process can be directed to Mandy Laing, Awards Officer, at Mandy.Laing(a)umanitoba.ca<mailto:Sara.Sealey@umanitoba.ca>
[Instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/umanitoba/> [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/umanitoba> [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/umgradstudies>