These are terribly long overdue, friends. My apologies.
I gather most of us are "a go" re: our next meeting, which Jim proposes for
Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 1:30?
Hope all are well!
*1919 WINNIPEG GENERAL STRIKE CENTENARY CONFERENCE (WGSCC) COMMITTEE: *
*MINUTES: MONDAY, JULY 16, 2018 | UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG*
Jim Naylor (Chair)
Rhonda L. Hinther
*1. REPORT FROM MEETING WITH CENTRAL COMMITTEE*
The umbrella central committee, established by the Manitoba Federation of
Labour (MFL) — and now referred to as the Advisory Committee — met on July
3, 2018. The meeting of said reported generally on finances in connection
with all activities and affirmed an overall funding commitment of
$900,000.00 to all 1919 Strike-related events. The committee also reported
on developments within the History and Education Committee.
Jeff Taylor met with the MFL in respect of the Graphic History project,
which will be produced at a reasonable price point in print ($20) and
online (free) and paid for entirely by the MFL. A number of copies will be
provided for free to unions, too.
The Graphic History Collective will provide copy by the end of August to
publishers. Jim Naylor suggests that we should organize a book launch at
some point (possibly at McNally Robinson). We will also determine
advertising and promotion fees for ads with various publishers and
periodicals. Jim also mentioned that he will be writing the introduction to
the Graphic History book and spoke about furthering some discussion about
the positives and negatives concerning the “Street Car” motif as a
Jim reports the MFL will likely have some additional monies to provide to
various other projects later on, and that the MFL might be interested in
developing an ongoing relationship in support of a labour history and
*2. SSHRC GRANT UPDATE AND FINANCES*
The WCSCC was unfortunately not awarded its SSRHC grant, but we will
re-apply for said by the August 1, 2018 deadline. No explanation was
forwarded re: application rejection, but it was generally suggested that we
ought to reapply with a greater emphasis on highlighting outreach
initiatives re: Connection category criteria — this, including further
educational-entertainment options throughout the conference. Scott Price
and Jim Mochoruk raised the idea of roundtable and keynote podcasts as
examples of said. Social media live presentations are also a possibility.
Given that our denial might be connected with budget matters, it was moved
that we ought to drop the second keynote option in our application.
Krishna will immediately pursue securing our keynote options, beginning
with Jane McAlevey as our top choice, followed by Saru Jayaraman.
Jim Mochoruk indicates that we can shave off expenses re: SSHRC application
by dropping the second keynote option, for example. Jim M. also suggests
that we prioritize our expenses by ensuring first that our roundtable
participants are fully funded re: travel, followed by grad students,
activists and the precariously employed. Jim M. also recommends that we
encourage, where applicable, conference participants to secure funding
options from their representative organizations, unions, etc.
Jim Naylor and Janis Thiessen mentioned that we have further grant funding
possibilities up to $20K re: University of Winnipeg’s Riley Foundation.
Jeff Taylor indicates that, regardless of our successes (or not) re: SSHRC,
we have some guaranteed financial security via the U of M’s Faculty of Arts
Jim Naylor reports that our major funding sources/potentials include:
SSHRC, the U of M (Faculty of Arts Dean’s Office), the U of W, MFL and
Jeff Taylor indicates that if we continue to be denied funding through
SSHRC — this, other than for technical reasons or something substantively
missed in the application — our lack of success could be owing to political
reasons, in which case we might want to pursue some sort of public
intervention or campaign.
Rhonda L. Hinther indicates that things re: pursing Billy Bragg are
ongoing, with Jason Hooper continuing options and opportunities.
Janis Thiessen mentioned that we might be able to apply to the University
of Winnipeg re: conferring an honouray degree to Bragg, which may serve to
encourage Bragg’s participation.
Discussion concerning the CCPA’s involvement needs to be further discussed.
We will invite Jason Hooper to attend our next meeting re: costs covered
(and by whom) and what Bragg-event iterations are available to us.
*4. DISCUSSION RE: ADDITION OF DISABILITIES ROUNDTABLE SPEAKER
It was decided that we leave the roundtable compositions as is, but that we
seek to find space within the conference (if possible) to include a panel
or session on workers with disabilities, similarly to proposed efforts
regarding a student and youth workers panel. Rhonda suggests that should
someone from the Building an Inclusive Labour Movement roundtable bow-out,
we prioritize securing a replacement from the workers with disabilities
*5.**WGSCC COMMITTEE STRUCTURE: LOGISTICS AND COMMUNICATIONS ADDITIONS*
Currently, the WGSCC committee includes both finance and roundtable
subcommittees. Jim Naylor proposes the creation of a *Conference Logistics
Committee*, which will directly oversee tasks concerning the execution of
events. Jim Naylor, Krishna, Paul Jenkins and Janis Thiessen volunteer as
Krishna suggests that we also create a *Communications and Public Relations
Committee*, to which Krishna, Jim Naylor and Rhonda have agreed to
participate. Krishna will connect with MFL Communications and Research
Coordinator Andrew Todd.
Krishna will revise our current website such that the front page graphics
display fits properly; the Call for Papers section no longer forms our
homepage; and will advertise our finalized list of roundtable participants
at 1919-2019.com and on Facebook. Krishna will also see about switching
from wordpress.com’s limited format to another web platform — this, with a
full web relaunch and social media push come the Fall.
*6. PUBLICATIONS CONNECTED WITH THE CONFERENCE*
Jim Naylor advised that we might want to investigate further publication
possibilities in connection with the conference, including special 1919
issues of progressive periodicals alongside special volumes with publishing
houses, such as Fernwood, etc.
*7. ASSOCIATION OF UNITED UKRAINIAN CANADIANS (AUCC) REPORT*
Tim Gordienko reported on the success of the Association of United
Ukrainian Canadians’ (AUCC) 100thanniversary gala event, which took place
at the Ukrainian Labour Temple on May 12, 2018.
Tim reports that a number of renovations to the Labour Temple are being
proposed, including accessibility upgrades. Discussions are ongoing with
the AUUC. A meeting in September is being planned, in which it is critical
to articulate how improvements to the temple will benefit the AUCC.
*8. NEXT MEETING: TBD*
Dr. Jeffery Taylor
Dean of Arts
Professor of History
310 Fletcher Argue Building
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 5V5
Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments to it are intended for the addressee only and may contain legally privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender if you have received this email by mistake, and please delete it and the attachments (and all copies) in a secure manner.
Begin forwarded message:
From: "Karen Werlin" <kwerlin(a)telus.net<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>
Subject: 2019 Alberta Labour History Calendar
Date: September 6, 2018 at 4:34:18 PM CDT
To: "'Alvin Finkel'" <finkel(a)telusplanet.net<mailto:email@example.com>>, "Andrea Hasenbank" <agh3(a)ualberta.ca<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>, "'Don Bouzek'" <dbouzek(a)outlook.com<mailto:email@example.com>>, <donnac9(a)ualberta.ca<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>, "Eric Strikwerda" <erics(a)athabascau.ca<mailto:email@example.com>>, "Jack Hubler" <jphubler(a)shaw.ca<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>, "'James Muir'" <james.muir(a)ualberta.ca<mailto:email@example.com>>, "Jo-Ann Kolmes" <joannkolmes(a)gmail.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>, "'Karen Werlin'" <kwerlin(a)telus.net<mailto:email@example.com>>, "'Linda Robinson'" <linda.robinson09(a)gmail.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>, "Muriel Stanley Venne" <murielv(a)shaw.ca<mailto:email@example.com>>, "'Scott Crichton'" <scrichton(a)ibew424.net<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>, "Winston Gereluk" <winstong(a)fastmail.fm<mailto:email@example.com>>
2019 Alberta Labour History Calendar
The Great Labour Revolt of 1919
The Alberta Labour History Institute calendar for 2019 provides a concise and dramatic
history of the Great Labour Revolt of 1919. It was the year when labour, disgusted by
post-war profiteering and anti-worker practices by employers and governments alike
that continued such attacks from the pre-war and wartime periods, lay down tools and
took to the streets en masse to demand a new economic system.
The Winnipeg General Strike was a response to the oppression faced by workers and soon
workers in many places across the country, including Calgary and Edmonton and Alberta's
many coal towns had also initiated general strikes.
The ALHI Calendar is more than a calendar. It is a readable and condensed but highly accurate
history of trade unionism and workers' struggles in Alberta. It is also the top source of income
for ALHI as it goes about its work of doing oral histories of Alberta working people and
documenting in various ways the struggles of working people to build unions and to fight
for political, social, and economic democracy for the people of Alberta.
We hope that you and your organization will support the work of ALHI by
purchasing and displaying these calendars which have proven to be an invaluable source
of information about working people and their history.
I’ve attached an order form for your convenience and look forward to your response.
Alberta Labour History Institute
603, 12323 Stony Plain Rd NW
Edmonton, AB T5N 3Y5
Ph: (780) 732-0320
A reminder that the Winnipeg General Strike Centenary Conference Committee is meeting this Saturday, September 8, at 1:30 p.m. in our usual meeting place of 2B23 ... the Oral History Centre in Bryce Hall at the University of Winnipeg.
The agenda will include:
o Friday evening event (Billy Bragg?)*
o Wednesday opening evening
o Keynote speaker
o Program changes
o Next tasks?
If you remember, I reported on the listserv about my discussion with the CCPA about Bragg. I'm attaching a proposal they send me which is a variation of what I reported to you previously. We have to decide about this at this meeting and move forward.
Also, let me know of anything else that should be added to the agenda.
Department of History
270 18th Street
Brandon, MB R7A 6A9
Office: 204 727 9664
Cell: 204 720 2117