Dear Jens and Team, Congratulations for this next step of Epidata Analysis 3.00 development. You have very kindly added the functionality of;Output background colour,Command background colour from Edit -- Colour pull down menu.I am not technically sure of the difficulties involved in adding "Editor background colour" option also in the software with cross platform compatibility.However if possible, please try to add that also in the next development release.Our rock solid Classical Epidata Analysis 2.2 ver was developed after year of hard work by Epidata Team. Replicating all those and additional functionalities in the new Epidata Analysis is a daunting task. However Epidata team has shown real perseverance .With regards and best wishes,Shavinder Singh
A new updated version of EpiData Analysis (v188.8.131.52) has been placed
for your testing on http://epidata.dk/testing.php
Please find below a summary of the changes. In particular notice that
the requirement of [_n] in pgm's has been removed, unless you refer to a
given observation. I expect the release as public in the coming week or
the week after. Please test and report to this list.
As part of my job as a clinical epidemiologist and professor at the
Odense University Hospital here in Denmark I have extensively tested the
software during the last three months. We now use the pre-public version
on a daily basis.
Now we have a running system in new EpiData Analysis. It is run by
secretaries, who have no experience in programming. They just click an
icon to accomplish:
a.import a csv file saved daily from our main IT-patient registration
system (EpiData Analysis)
b. merge with previously controlled observations to evaluate only new
observations (EpiData Analysis)
c. quality securing coding in the patient journal. (EpiData EntryClient)
d. create SPC graphs in classic analysis (EpiData Analysis Classic)
e. create lists for audit of patients where the quality standards were
To run the system in the revised new analysis we only lack possibility
of creating graphs, which I expect to include in the coming months, if
all goes well ready by the end of this year.
One other aspect we need to tackle is the increasing demand for safety
certificates and documentation in relation to secure systems. If any of
you are experienced in this area please write me an e-mail (jl at
Without the efforts of Torsten Bonde Christiansen (Software design and
programming), Jamie Hockin (testing, programming, Mac adaptation) and
Hans L. Rieder (testing, approving solutions) the software would not
continue to develop.
Please look into the website for inspiration:
Jens Lauritsen, coordinator and initiator.
EpiData Association, Denmark
Changes since v184.108.40.206
- [_n] is no longer needed, except when desired.
- editor: Completely new. Many aspects improved. Works better in MacOs
- new !output option with save command - allows saving output content as
- new "set" option to control format of saved output html|txt
- new "set" option allows user definition of css styles in saved html
- new "set" option defines internal css or external reference to css
file in html output
- extended fast createdate function allows conversion of date strings
with named months.
- extended createdate function allows use of national month naming
defined in set
Other new aspects:
- mergevar added as the last in a merged dataset
- default dataset used after merge is the merged one
- keyboard shortcuts unified and simplified.
- main window opens immediately if started with a pgm
- many commands: unified option naming, e.g. !l is labels
Bug fixes: - all solved
- keep : if used in a "for loop" errors could occur
- Assignment: incorrect control of missing in string variables
- validate duplicate : error if a variable was missing
- many minor other bugs or inconsistencies
Bug fixes: - partially solved
- errors in calculations when dividing by zero.
fixed in Linux and MacOS, but not in windows always.
Known issues at this point:
- Analysis does NOT handle header "variables" at all (except keeping
- Sometimes windows 10 gives a "list - index out of bounds" error
in particular when running a selected block from the editor or when
running several pgm files within a pgm.
Dear Jens, Great work is being carried out of developing New Epidata Analysis. I was just exploring new release ver 220.127.116.11 One suggestion as request; We had relatively simple system of changing background to either black or white from pull down menu (Screen Font Option from window pull down menu ) in Classical Epidata Analysis.Tweaking Start.pgm is not everyone’s cup of tea. We work in the main output screen and Editor screen for long time. Dark (black) background are not stressful to the eyes while white background are. If possible please retain that feature (of changing background to either black or white from pull down menu) in New Epidata Analysis also.With regards,Shavinder Singh
Dear EpiData users,
I have designed a relational data system for a nutritional cohort study in
Nigeria and was wondering if anyone on this forum has any tips or
recommendations for how best to establish a server/cloud based back up of
the system so that the PI's can have remote access to do additional data
quality assurance. More specifically, are there freely accessible or at
least affordable secure servers or data storage facilities that you would
recommend if neither ourselves or implementing partner have that facility
With kind regards,